I’m BACK! This time I mean it; I have so many recipes and stories I want to share with this team. I know I’ve gone on hiatuses before (life happens), and there might be more in the future as this year gets crazier, but I’m really excited to write about this egg sandwich today. I call this the legendary egg sandwich because everyone in my life can’t believe that I eat this daily. There’s a reason why…it’s just that good. Doesn’t matter whatever else happens, but I will wake up and my this for myself because a) it’s so darn easy to make; sometimes the most simple ingredients create the best meals, b) it’s an extremely satisfying breakfast, c) it takes literally a maximum of 10 min to throw together, and d) this is the only reason I am ok dragging myself out of bed at 6:15am (anyone else wake up SUPER hungry every morning? No? Well maybe after you make this sandwich for yourself one morning that might change). Also, this fills me up and I don’t get hungry for another 4 hours at the very least, which helps me focus on work and not think about food.
This sandwich takes just a handful of ingredients: nonstick spray, eggs, avocado, bread, salt/pepper, and hot sauce. You can use all generic branded items, but my bougie self loves to keep coconut oil spray, organic & cage free brown eggs, sea salt, and sprouted wheat bread on hand. Avocados are expensive enough so I get those the cheapest I can. The hot sauce I used is simply Tapatio; I’ve had this sandwich with Cholula too but Tapatio wins in this sandwich! As for the bread, sprouted wheat bread has become my go-to. I specifically love the California-style bread from Alvarado farms. If you read the ingredients on the package, you’ll see that you can easily pronounce each ingredient, there is no weird added sugar, and it’s basically a really clean bread. I believe Trader Joe’s also makes their own sprouted wheat bread, and it’s just as good. I probably could never give up carbs because of this sandwich and this bread (over my bread body! note: I can’t take credit for that pun, I read it on Instagram).
I like to make this sandwich with over easy eggs and the yolk still plenty runny (that sort of becomes a dipping sauce for the bread too; yes, this is a messy breakfast!) but I’ve made this with well done eggs too and it’s great. The avocado is a healthy fat, but the neutral, creamy taste is perfect against the spicy Tapatio. And lastly, you also HAVE to season your eggs otherwise the eggs won’t taste good. Ok enough yapping, here’s the recipe:
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of sprouted wheat bread, or any bread you like
- ¼th-1/2 an avocado, sliced, depending on how much you want
- a few dashes of Tapatio
- salt and pepper to taste
- nonstick cooking spray
- Heat a nonstick cooking pan to high heat and cover with nonstick spray
- Crack the two eggs in the pan, side by side and let cook for a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a spatula to separate the two eggs and let cook for another minute
- Reduce heat to medium-high and gently flip both eggs. Careful not to break the yolk if you're going for runny yolks.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the yolks are to your taste.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, place both slices of bread and toast on both sides, a few minutes on each side, until golden brown. You can also just pop the bread in the toaster, but I like for the bread to remain a little soft.
- Assemble the sandwich: on one slice of bread, spread out the avocado slices. Place both eggs side by side on top of the avocado, and add a few dashes of hot sauce. Place the second slice of bread on top, and cut the sandwich in half.
- Eat your new favorite breakfast ASAP!
Hope I’ve convinced you to become a breakfast person if you aren’t one already 🙂