Another summer is upon us (June 21st was the first day of summer)! Summer to me is all things beach, sunshine, iced coffee. This summer, I’ve taken short trips to Portland, Las Vegas, San Luis Obispo, and I’ll be going to Santa Cruz/Aptos and Temecula really soon. So even though I don’t really have a large stretch of a summer break, I’ve made really good use of my weekends!
This bright, fluffy and delicious cake has been on my to-make list forever and I am so excited to have finally gotten around to making and photographing it. It’s my way of welcoming the summer! Remember last year I made these Raspberry Brie Bites during the end of summer? I figured a recipe to welcome the summer was needed to even things out. The texture of this ricotta cake is extremely light, fluffy and the cake is just slightly sweet. The raspberries are really tart and bright against the more simple canvas of the cake. I added a drizzle of chocolate syrup to my slice of cake because I love the raspberry and chocolate combo 🙂
Made exactly as is from Bon Appetit!
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups of part skim ricotta
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 inch cake pan generously with cooking spray.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In a smaller bowl, blend ricotta, eggs and vanilla with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the wet batter to the dry ingredients in 3 batches, folding everything together. Then fold in the melted butter and mix all together. Fold in ¾ths of the raspberries and pour batter into pan. Scatter the remaining berries on top. Bake for 45-55 minutes (depends on the power of your oven; mine is really strong so I only baked this cake for 45 minutes).
So easy. And so good.