I’m not too big on grilling things. I think it takes a lot of effort: cleaning the grill, buying the charcoal, heating the grill, getting all the ingredients ready, and convincing the whole family that yes, today we’re going to do this and hang out together. However, all of this is worth it for these succulent paneer tikka masala skewers! They are seriously awesome and so easy to make. You can add all your favorite vegetables, paneer (the best part) and after grilling, add some fresh lime juice.
So this past weekend, in honor of the long weekend and 4th of July, my family had a little BBQ. The idea was up in the air since last week and I knew I wanted to make this paneer tikka masala marinade. So on Sunday morning, I hauled myself out of bed to go shopping with my Dad to get everything. And I am so glad I did because it was such a lovely time: the sun was warm and there was a slight breeze, we had a cheese plate, lots of watermelon and persimmons, the sweetest grilled corn, these skewers, my Mom’s old Hindi music in the background and my Dad had donned his most patriotic shirt.
Here’s my dad modeling the freshly grilled corn! I usually don’t like eating grilled corn because it gets everywhere in my teeth and I’d rather spare myself of that discomfort. However….this corn was mighty sweet, so had to eat it.
Here we are posing with our skewers:
Don’t these paneer tikka masala marinade skewers look awesome?!
The yogurt marinade literally has your entire pantry’s worth of spices in it. And surprisingly, the flavors don’t clash together at all! They all work really well together and the heat from the grill cooks all the spices and really infuses them into the vegetables. I found the original recipe here, and made just small variations.
- The vegetables:
- ½ eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ yellow onion, cut into square pieces
- 2 tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 1 cup white mushrooms, halved
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1 inch thick coins
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into square pieces
- 12 oz paneer, cut into 1 inch cubes
- OPTIONAL: I literally just thought of this- pineapple chunks would be amazing grilled with these vegetables! Next time 🙂
- For the marinade:
- 1 ½ cups low fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red Kashmiri mirch powder (replace with 1 teaspoon paprika if you can’t find this)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (you can omit these if you can’t find them)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon salt or black salt (I added ½ teaspoon of each)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Prepare all your vegetables and paneer and place in large bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the yogurt with all the spices and ginger-garlic paste by whisking together till well mixed. Pour over the prepared vegetables and paneer and toss together to coat everything well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (I left this in my fridge for 3 hours and it was great!) or overnight.
- Once the vegetables are done marinating, prepare your grill until it’s white-coal hot. Start skewering your vegetables and paneer, alternating between the different ingredients. Place the skewers on the hot grill and cover. You could brush on some oil here, like the original recipe calls for, but I found I didn't really need to.
- Rotate the skewers twice, letting everything cook for 7-10 minutes before rotating. You want two sides of the vegetables to be cooked really well. Once done, remove from grill and squeeze fresh lime juice on the vegetables and enjoy hot!