I’m gonna admit it, my breakfast game has become pretty routine these days. HOWEVER. It is absolutely delicious, and I usually find myself craving breakfast when I go to bed, always looking forward to eating it the next day. What do I eat for breakfast, you ask? It’s just a regular egg sandwich made with sprouted grain whole wheat bread, two robust (meaning brown and organic, from vegetarian-fed hens) eggs that are cooked sunny-side up and salted generously, with just the right amount of runny yolk, and half of a perfectly ripened avocado, topped off with a dash (LOL who am I kidding? More like doused in) of Cholula or Tapatio. Do you see how I’m almost always ready to eat breakfast when I head off to bed?
So why am I making healthy breakfast muffins??? I don’t know. I just thought a change would be nice, and maybe I could make something that I could grab as I head out the door and devour with my large cup of Philz coffee at work. These muffins are reminiscent of the morning glory muffins I had in Boston last year at The Thinking Cup. There were all sorts of ingredients in them, and these are similar. There’s grated carrots, zucchini, pecans, dried cherries/blueberries/raisins/cranberries (I got a packet of all four at Trader Joe’s), bananas, applesauce (use applesauce instead of oil to significantly reduce the calories!), oats, and fresh ginger!
You can change up any of the ingredients (maybe walnuts or almonds instead of pecans), but if I had to make these again, I would add chocolate chips. I know, these would not really be all that healthy anymore, but they would be SO MUCH MORE LUSCIOUS. So now the question for you is….to add chocolate chips or not to add chocolate chips? I’ll let you decide.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 bananas, mashed
- ½ cup rolled (also known as "old fashioned" oats)
- ½ cup toasted and chopped pecans
- ½ cup raisins/cranberries/cherries/blueberries (all dried)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup non fat greek yogurt
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare your muffin tin by either spraying with cooking spray or lining with muffin liners.
- In a bowl, combine the grated zucchini, carrots, eggs, yogurt, bananas, ginger, and applesauce. Stir all together until well combined.
- In another bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, salt, dried berries, pecans, baking soda, oats, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well together until combined.
- Fill the muffin tin with the batter. You can fill the muffin cup till about ¾ths to all the way full.
- Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes, till a fork comes out clean and the tops are firm to the touch.